The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
Genre: Dystopian, Action, Sci-Fi
Page Count: 488
Book #1of The Darkest Minds trilogy
Published: December 18, 2012
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government "rehabilitation camp." She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America's children, but she and the others emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they could not control. Now, sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. When the truth comes out, Ruby barely escapes Thurmond with her life. She is on the run, desperate to find the only safe haven left for kids like her- East River. She joins a group of kids who have escaped their own camp. Liam, their brave leader, is falling hard for Ruby. But no matter how much she aches for him, Ruby can't risk getting close. Not after what happened to her parents. When they arrive at East River, nothing is as it seems, least of all its mysterious leader. But there are other forces at work, people will stop at nothing to use Ruby in their fight against the government. Ruby will be faced with a terrible choice, one that may mean giving up her only chance at having a life worth living.
1. This book was pretty much a winner for me from the very beginning seeing as all my favorite genres were wrapped into one amazing book like this one. Once again, this is a five-star book in my opinion and it's no wonder why this book has gotten so much hype in just a couple of years. If you're a fan of Article 5 or The Young Elites, this book is for you!
2. The characters in this book completely won me over from the beginning. Ruby is very strong and a very feisty female lead that I thought made the book that much more empowering. The other characters, Liam and Chubs, were just a joy to read about. With all their funny jokes and sarcastic comments, I really loved them. Zu was just adorable as well as a little girl you really don't want to mess with. I really loved how the villain in this book came in many characters from the entire government to a friend they thought they could trust.
3. All the genres in this book really won me over. It has a huge dystopian feel to it, which you all should know that I'm a sucker for. It also had adventure, action and even a little romance that I thought blended very well into the rest of the story and wasn't rushed at all. I really loved all the supernatural abilities that these kids had, from reading minds to erasing people's memories, it was just so cool!
4. The writing for this book is absolutely flawless. Alexandra Bracken is an amazing author. Her writing is so easy to read and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I couldn't put this book down and I couldn't read it fast enough. She created an amazing set of characters, built an amazing new world and created stories for every character she wrote about.
5. Lastly, the book kept me interested from the very first page to the very last. It had a lot of fast-paced scenes and an amazing yet heartbreaking ending. It was sweet, funny, dark, and mysterious all at the same time. I'm really excited to read the second book and I'll be flying through that one as well.
Age Recommendation: 13+
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!