Article 5 by Kristen Simmons
Genre: Fiction, Action, Dystopian
Page Count: 364
Book #1 of the Article 5 trilogy
Publisher: Tor Teen Books
New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C have all been abandoned. The Bill of rights has been revoked and replaced with the Moral Statutes. There are no more police-- instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior-- instead there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested don't usually come back. Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different. In the three years since the war ended, Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow. That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And what's worse, one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings . . . the only boy Ember has ever loved.
1. This action packed sci-fi dystopian story has lots that I loved about it. If you're a fan of any of those genres, this book is a winner from me to you.
2. The story isn't all that original, two teens on the run from the government, but this take on the story is very interesting and hard to put down. There's a few actions scenes that weren't too over the top for the book as well as some romance sprinkled throughout the pages. The story was thought out very well and gave something new to the whole aspect of the non original subject.
3. The story flowed very well and I felt like it was fleshed out perfectly. It would make a great stand alone but of course, it isn't one. The story wasn't rushed and it didn't seem forced in certain places like some stories tend to be. The story was very well written and easy to understand. It also wasn't too descriptive like some action/sci-fi books can be.
4. The characters were just perfect. I really loved how both main characters were hard at first but later softened as the story progressed. I really liked their backgrounds and the relationship they had with each other in the past and how it was so much different in the present day.
5. Overall, this book had a little something for everyone, romance, action, sci-fi, a dystopian feel, and a very good storyline and plot. The climax was amazing and was also fast paced for most of the book.
1.The only thing I didn't like about this book was that the beginning starts out pretty slow. For me, it didn't pick up until about fifty pages in. It's hard nowadays to find a book that perfect from beginning to end but this book didn't quite cut it.
Age Recommendation: 13+
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any more book recommendations you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me am email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!