Hello, everybody! Today I will be reviewing a very cool book called Nika by D.H. Gibbs which is a novella and I'm super excited to review it for you guys seeing as I haven't read many novellas in my life. Special thanks to the author and Fantastic Flying Reading Club for the review copy!
I was sent a physical copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Down below is my review for the book as well as the links to where you can purchase the book or add it to Goodreads as well as all the author links. Now, let's get started!
Genre: Young Adult
Page Count: 96
Publisher: Sandphics Creations
Published: March 1st, 2016
Taken off the streets Nika is thrown into an unknown world where she's held captive. As an orphan, she has been on the run and must find her way out before they discover her secret. But these people held the knowledge of her family and who she is. Will she be able to find out before her secret is revealed? After hundreds of years, Demyan has finally found the rightful ruler of his race. Unfortunately, she doesn't know who she is and is doing everything in her power to escape him. Time is running out and Demyan has to convince Nika to take her rightful place otherwise the battle will be lost and his race extinguished.
1. I was first really intrigued by the cover since it looks so cool. I thought the synopsis sounded really neat and I thought maybe this could turn out to be a really promising start to a series. I'm super happy to be reviewing it for you guys so let's skip all of my babbling and head straight into the review!
2. This book was well laid out and also had great descriptions in order for me to envision what everything looked like as Nika finds herself in a unique setting that she's unfamiliar with. I liked that the descriptions were simple and to the point without dragging on as they can sometimes do especially since this was a very short book.
3. I also liked all the characters, Alex being my favorite who is also Nika's cousin. There wasn't much of him in the book but what I got was a smart, witty, and fun character which I very much enjoy. Nika was a very fiery character though she tended to come off as a little bit of a brat at some points but she was also a quick learner when it came to her training. I would have also like a little more character development but what I got was nice and enough to keep me interested in the story.
1. The big one I have for this book is simply that it felt jumpy in the timelines, going from one day and the next chapter taking place weeks or even months after where the last chapter left off. It also felt like there was a lot happening for it to be confined to a novella and seemed very rushed, even skipping over some things like more backstory on the characters and details about Nika's family history, even just brushing over it slightly.
2. I also didn't care about the romance aspect in this story since the book was so short and there was a lot of other things going on that it felt a little out of place and kind of distracting. Personally, I would've liked the book a lot more had there been no romance and it just focused on Nika's training to become prepared for battle. I also had a few issues with the writing. I know that this has a modern setting, however, it was disrupting my reading with such things as text abbreviations in the sentences being said by the characters. It felt out of place for me personally but then again, I rarely use text abbreviations myself.
Overall, I liked it and it was a promising start to this series. I'm interested in what happens next in the story since it ends in a bit of a cliffhanger. I would recommend this one if you want a more laid back fantasy story that's short and quick to read but still interesting.
You Can Purchase The Book Here:
About The Author:
With an active imagination and a love of art D.H. Gibbs has chosen to combine her talents by writing and illustrating books. She writes for both the children and young adult genre, where both of her debut books has been published and is available on amazon. Her new children’s book will be coming out in 2016.
D.H. Gibbs hails from the Caribbean where in her free time she reads, paint and travel when she can.
I hopy you guys enjoyed this book review! Read on, bookworms! See you in the next chapter!