Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Looking For Alaska by John Green
Rating: PG-13
Score: 3 1/2 stars

Miles Halter is tired of his safe life at home and fascinated with famous last words. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the great poet François Rabelais called "The Great Perhaps". Culver Creek holds many things for Miles, including the beautiful and smart Alaska Young. She's funny, wild and screwed-up just like her group of friends. Miles tries to find his place amongst them and ends up making friends that he'll keep with him forever. While going through the labyrinth, Miles and his friends will go through it together. Side by side. Through tragedy and sorrow to find their Great Perhaps.

Review:
Pros:
1. I love the story line of the book and how one thing led to another in the normal life of Miles. I liked how he was just a normal teenage boy who just wanted to make friends and take risks to find out where he belonged.

2. I also loved the characters in the book. They were all different but never let their past define who they were. They were all hardheaded and caring towards one another and loyal friends.

3. The book also had a good mix of humor and love as well as tragedy and sorrow. It also had other emotions mixed in with the story and was well written.

Cons:
1. Even though I loved the book, I didn't very much enjoy it as much as I would've liked because of some language throughout the book. It was a bit distracting to me and might be a problem for younger readers.

2. There were also some scenes that were inappropriate for readers 13 and under. I would highly advise that someone older should read it instead due to smoking, drinking and intimate scenes in the book.

Age Recommendation: 16+

I hope you enjoyed this book review! If you have any book requests you would like me to review, just leave them in the comments or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment