Sunday, December 6, 2015

Review: Winter by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles #4)

Winter by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles #4)
Rating: PG
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopian, Romance, Retelling
Score: ❤❤❤❤❤ 
Page Count: 827
Book #4 in the Lunar Chronicles series
Publisher: Fiewel and Friends
Published: November 10, 2015

SPOILERS AHEAD!! DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE PREVIOUS BOOKS!

Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

Reviews of The Lunar Chronicles:

REVIEW:
PROS:
1. WINTER IS FINALLY HERE! PRAISE THE LORD ABOVE!!! Anyway, now that the fangirling is done, (kind of) I'm so excited to have finally picked this book up and read it in just a few days though still not fast enough! I freaking love this series so much and I was anxious to find out all what happens to the characters and how this series wraps up! Without further ado, here's my review on this AWESOME conclusion to the series:

2. I swear that the characters in these books just keep getting better and better with each installment as we follow their journeys through earth and on Luna. I want to talk for a second about my favorite character, Cinder. I love how strong she continues to grow as she becomes more determined to dethrone Queen Levana and take back her rightful place in the kingdom of Luna and become the ruler that she knows the people deserve. I love how Cinder doesn't try to portray herself as perfect, knowing perfectly well all that is at stake and fearing so much for her friends as their journey to take Levana down becomes more and more dangerous.

We do get to see a lot more of Scarlet in this book as well, which is nice because we barely got to see any of her in the third book. She's still not my favorite character but she is very feisty and headstrong and doesn't at all give up easily which is always a nice trait in a character.
Cress also becomes a little less naive as she helps everyone with their mission and I really loved that. Cress becomes a stronger character as well as a more daring one who doesn't shy away from danger as quickly as she normally does.


Our other characters, Thorne, Kai, Wolf and the loveable Iko are pretty much the same as always which is perfect. Thorne still can't take things seriously and makes jokes at the most inappropriate times, Kai is just . . . PERFECT. Be still my heart ❤❤❤❤ Wolf just wants to finally get his chance to fight back against Levana any way he can and Iko, I swear gets sassier and sassier throughout the book. Overall, THEY ARE MY BABIES!!

3. The story line and what everything leads up to in this book is just so much craziness and epic-ness that I honestly couldn't wrap my brain around all of what was happening. There were so many twists and turns, ups and downs, excitement, fighting, action, a typhoon of emotions that it still hasn't sunken in yet that the series is over. I was a bit nervous to think about how much could possibly happen in over eight hundred pages but I was hooked into the story the WHOLE time as the story played out and our characters had to face a lot more problems than just sneaking into the palace to get their hands on Levana. So much happened in the story that it's a bit hard to imagine just what runs through Marissa Meyer's mind while writing these books. Respect.  


4. Overall, if you haven't yet read the Lunar Chronicles series, DO IT! It has science fiction, epic fighting and war scenes, adventure across space, danger, excitement, a little bit of magic and romance and it's just all around an addicting read for everyone. If you're looking for a series that seriously has so much to offer, look no further because Cinder is here! Or, Winter. You get what I'm saying.
This book kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time and I have no doubt that it will keep you glued to the pages until the very end. I should know, I stayed up until two in the morning last night reading and I died on page 726. My body couldn't handle it!

Follow Marissa!

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!


25689074
The enchantment continues....

The universe of the Lunar Chronicles holds stories—and secrets—that are wondrous, vicious, and romantic. How did Cinder first arrive in New Beijing? How did the brooding soldier Wolf transform from young man to killer? When did Princess Winter and the palace guard Jacin realize their destinies?

With nine stories—five of which have never before been published—and an exclusive never-before-seen excerpt from Marissa Meyer’s upcoming novel, Heartless, about the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, Stars Above is essential for fans of the bestselling and beloved Lunar Chronicles.

--
The Little Android: A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid,” set in the world of The Lunar Chronicles.
Glitches: In this prequel to Cinder, we see the results of the plague play out, and the emotional toll it takes on Cinder. Something that may, or may not, be a glitch….
The Queen’s Army: In this prequel to Scarlet, we’re introduced to the army Queen Levana is building, and one soldier in particular who will do anything to keep from becoming the monster they want him to be.
Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky: Thirteen-year-old Carswell Thorne has big plans involving a Rampion spaceship and a no-return trip out of Los Angeles.
The Keeper: A prequel to the Lunar Chronicles, showing a young Scarlet and how Princess Selene came into the care of Michelle Benoit.
After Sunshine Passes By: In this prequel to Cress, we see how a nine-year-old Cress ended up alone on a satellite, spying on Earth for Luna.
The Princess and the Guard: In this prequel to Winter, we see a game called The Princess
The Mechanic: In this prequel to Cinder, we see Kai and Cinder’s first meeting from Kai’s perspective.
Something Old, Something New: In this epilogue to Winter, friends gather for the wedding of the century...
Stars Above by Marissa Meyer Available February 2, 2016

4 comments:

  1. I loved Winter too!! It was an awesome conclusion! I didn't know about "Stars Above" before. That's so exciting!!! "The wedding of the century..." better be talking about Cinder and Kai. Well, or Thorne and Cress. Or Scarlet and Wolf. You know what, all three couples should just get married, all on the same day, and we should get to witness it. (sorry for going crazy on your blog). :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I totally agree!! I've been waiting for a Cinder and Kai wedding so I'm hoping more than anything that that's what the short story will be about BUT I wouldn't mind the others getting married either!! I ship everybody!

      Delete
  2. I still can't believe this series is over. At least we have Stars Above to look forward to. As final books go, Winter was perfection. It was everything I'd hope it could be. Now I can't wait to read that very curious 'Something Old, Something New' story in the upcoming book. I feel like I know that it's hinting at??? I read the first 4 short stories as they were released and I'm looking forward to reading them again, plus all the new ones. Great review Anissa ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG ME TOO!! I'm so excited for that book and that certain short story! I'm so excited to read some of the short stories that I haven't yet read! Thanks for sharing in my excitement!

      Delete