Friday, January 23, 2015

The Edge Of Falling by Rebecca Serle

The Edge Of Falling by Rebecca Serle
Rating: PG-13
Genre: YA Contemporary
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 289
Stand Alone Novel
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Published: March 18, 2014
 
Growing up in privileged, Manhattan social circles, Caggie’s life should be perfect, and it almost was until the day that her younger sister drowned when Caggie was supposed to be watching her. Stricken by grief, Caggie pulls away from her friends and family, only to have everyone misinterpret a crucial moment when she supposedly saves a fellow classmate from suicide. Now she’s famous for something she didn’t do and everyone lauds her as a hero. But inside she still blames herself for the death of her sister and continues to pull away from everything in her life, best friend and perfect boyfriend included. Then Caggie meets Astor, the new boy at school, about whom rumours are swirling and known facts are few. In Astor she finds someone who just might understand her pain, because he has an inner pain of his own. But the more Caggie pulls away from her former life to be with Astor, the more she realises that his pain might be darker, and deeper, than anything she’s ever felt. His pain might be enough to end his life…and Caggie’s as well.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. I had my eye on this book for a few months after seeing it in a bookstore one day but kept putting off finally buying it and reading it. I have to say that I regret doing so and really wished I would've picked up this book a lot sooner! I didn't expect a lot from this book and I was happily surprised to have gotten a lot more from it. Let's get the review started!
 
2. I really liked Caggie's character for a few different reasons. I really liked how she didn't see herself as a hero of any sort, especially considering the fact that she "saved" someone's life. I liked how she was a bit of a loner and that she didn't really have any friends because of that. I also liked how she was dealing with a lot of issues in her life and was just looking for someone to understand what she was going through and trying to find where she fit in and what her life held for her. She was very real and relatable and I really love seeing that in a character.
 
3. The whole story had an air of mystery to it from the first page until the last. I couldn't help but wonder exactly how Caggie's sister died until it was finally revealed a good part of the way in the book and I also couldn't understand why Caggie feels like she isn't a hero, until yet again the truth is exposed towards the end of the book and was completely mind blowing to say the least. It was very mysterious in many parts of the story and also had twists and turns.
 
4. The ending was beautiful and I felt that the book wrapped up really well in a way that gave a little closure. Of course, the ending of the story doesn't exactly say where the characters end up, if they all have happy endings, what happens to other characters, but I felt like the ending was also realistic. You never know where life will take you and the ending was a beautifully written one that said just that.
 
CONS:
1. The only thing I didn't enjoy about this book is that it did get a bit slow at times. Which is the case with at least half the books you'll read in a lifetime so don't take this one personal Rebecca Serle. You know you're amazing!
 
Age Recommendation: 14+
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment