Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Three Rivers Rising by Jame Richards

Three Rivers Rising by Jame Richards
 
Rating: PG
Genre: YA Historical, Romance
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 280
Stand Alone Novel
Publisher: Knopf Books and Young Readers
Published: April 13, 2010
 
Sixteen-Year-Old Celstia spends every summer with her family at the elite resort at Lake Conemaugh, a shimmering Allegheny Mountain reservoir held in place by an earthen dam. Tired of the society crowd, Celestia prefers to swim and fish with Peter, the hotel’s hired boy. It’s a friendship she must keep secret, and when companionship turns to romance, it’s a love that could get Celestia disowned. These affairs of the heart become all the more wrenching on a single, tragic day in May, 1889. After days of heavy rain, the dam fails, unleashing 20 million tons of water onto Johnstown, Pennsylvania, in the valley below. The town where Peter lives with his father. The town where Celestia has just arrived to join him. This searing novel in poems explores a cross-class romance—and a tragic event in U. S. history.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. When I first found this book, I thought it was unique in more than one way. It wasn't a book that I would normally read but I was still excited to finally read this book. Here's the review!
 
2. I really liked the characters in this book. Celestia isn't the typical rich girl who does whatever her parents ask her to do. I really liked how she had a mind of her own and wanted to choose her own life and not the one her parents had for her already. She was very independent and I felt that was very relatable to a lot of young girls. I also loved Peter, who was adorable and sweet in many ways.
 
3. I really loved how this book was written in verse like a poem. It was very unique and I loved it from the first page to the last. I also liked how it was written in different points of view because it came from multiple characters that were later intertwined with each other.
 
4. Overall, I don't regret picking this book up and checking out a historical fiction novel since I rarely read those. It was beautifully written and I enjoyed this novel very much. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves history or books based on a true event. It was interesting and I had a lot of fun reading it.
 
CONS:
1. The only thing I didn't like about this book was that it was a little too slow for my taste. Seeing as I'm used to fast-paced books or faster-paced books than this one, this one was a bit slow compared to the books I'm used too.
 
Age Recommendation: 12+
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment