Thursday, February 4, 2016

Review: Library Of Souls by Ransom Riggs (Miss Peregrine's Children #3)

Library Of Souls by Ransom Riggs (Miss Peregrine's Children #3)
24120519
Rating: PG
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Score: 4.5 stars
Page Count: 458
Book #3 in the Miss Peregrine's Children series
Publisher: Quirk Books
Published: September 22, 2015

A boy with extraordinary powers. An army of deadly monsters. An epic battle for the future of peculiardom.
The adventure that began with Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children and continued in Hollow City comes to a thrilling conclusion with Library of Souls. As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Jacob discovers a powerful new ability, and soon he’s diving through history to rescue his peculiar companions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.

They’ll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthine alleys of Devil’s Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It’s a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all. Like its predecessors, Library of Souls blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience.

Review:
PROS:
1. One thing I both love and hate about my favorite series' is starting and finishing the last book in that series. It leaves me both wanting more and satisfied with how things wrapped up and this series is no exception. Before I get all teary eyed talking about how yet another amazing story has ended, let's just get to the review (sniffle, sniffle).

2. I cannot seem to talk enough about how much I love these characters. There's just such a great aspect about them, how they're completely themselves without holding anything back. They are peculiar after all so they can't exactly be judged by each other. I love each and every character, my favorites being Olive and Horace, and I just love seeing them go through some changes as the stories go on in each book and how they all grow more confident, stronger and a little more annoyed beyond belief at the hollows and wights and even each other. Everyone is all about teamwork, even when it seems they can't trust certain people. They really learned to rely on each other when it came to rescuing Miss Peregrine and other peculiar children even when they weren't too sure about who they should trust or believe.


3. Do I really need to say anything more about the pictures in these books? They're just so freaking interesting! I love photography and hope to do it for a living one day (fingers crossed!) so I just adore looking at the photos strewn throughout these books and really looking at just how different and eerie they are. I love the more creepy ones that look like something out of a Tim Burton film but some of them can be quite humorous at first glance. Basically, if you love creepy, odd photos and photography itself, you should really read this series.








4. I just can't get over how unique this series is, especially this last book. There's a lot more action in this one than the previous two as well as even odder characters such as talking decapitated heads, walking bears, a mysterious man in a mask and much more. I loved the storyline in this book even though the ending was just a little bit of a cliff hanger and one of my favorite characters dies though I won't name names since, you know, SPOILERS. But I will say I was in denial about this certain character being dead up until now. The oddity that is Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children is just so enjoyable and fun and makes me even more excited for the movie coming out in December!


So since this post turned into more of a talk on how awesome this series is instead of an actual review on things, I will just say that I loved this book so much even though I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous two. I can't really put my finger on the reason for this but I did love it in the end and plan on hopefully rereading this series sometime in the future, probably when I need to be reading more important things but whatever.

So that's it for this book review! I really hope you guys enjoyed it. Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!


What's your favorite series of all time?

No comments:

Post a Comment