Saturday, December 27, 2014

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
Rating: PG
Genre: Sci-fi, Dystopian
Score: ⭐⭐⭐
Book #2 of The Giver Quartet
Page Count: 215
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin

Published: 2000
 
Kira, an orphan with a twisted leg, lives in a world where the weak are cast aside. She fears for her future until she is spared by the all-powerful Council of Guardians. Kira is a gifted weaver and is given the task that no other community member can carry out. While her talent keeps her alive and brings certain privileges, Kira soon realizes that she is surrounded by mysteries and secrets. No one must know of her plans to uncover the truth about her world- and to find out what exists beyond it.

Review:
PROS:
1. Living up to The Giver is a pretty hard thing for this companion novel to do since the first book was just so good in many ways! This book definitely had it's pros and cons but I honestly thought this was still an enjoyable read. Needless to say, this book wasn't as good as the first book but I still liked reading it.

2. The characters in this book are just as enjoyable as the first book. I really loved the main character Kira and thought she was a good female lead for the story. I also enjoyed the other characters strung throughout the book and really liked seeing their personalities grow and thought they were fun and sometimes witty.

3. The storyline was very simple to follow but still had a bit of mystery so as not to be predictable. I really liked how simple it was with the writing and the climax and other scenes that had you wondering how certain things added up. It wasn't overwhelming or too simple to the point of it being boring.

4. I really loved the world that this book is set in. I really loved how the people thought about certain things and what they saw as right and wrong. It was a bit twisted and sometimes disturbing but interesting. This book perfectly depicted a form of a broken society and I applaud that.

5. This was a very small book so it takes no time at all to read but I really wanted there to be more. I really wanted to know where Kira finds herself after the end of the book and where her friends and family end up as well. I'm really excited to pick up the third book in this amazing quartet.

CONS:
1. Even though I really liked reading this book, I didn't love it as much as The Giver. As I said before, it's a hard book to live up too and I felt like Gathering Blue had a chance but didn't exactly deliver on it. At times, the book got a bit slow and I would've have liked to see more action just like in the first book.

Age Recommendation: 10+

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!


No comments:

Post a Comment