Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
Score: 4 1/2 stars
After her eighteen year old sister Cass runs away from home one August morning, Caitlin and her family struggle to accept her choice to find her own way in life. All her life, Caitlin has lived in her sister's shadow trying to keep up. With Cass gone, leaving no one to lead her through high school and life, Caitlin struggles to find her own way and struggles to keep everyone together. Everything seems so stressful, until she meets Rogerson. He's brilliant, smart and mysterious and makes Caitlin forget about everything, makes her feel alive and makes everything else seem so unreal. But with all that making her fall more in love him, she's forced to wonder if being without Rogerson is harder than being with him. Love can be a dangerous thing, and Caitlin starts learning the hard way. Will she accept how things are? Is being in love worth an abusive relationship? Will she forgive Cass for leaving her behind?
1. This book is all about trying to find your own way in life without having to have somebody tell you what to do every step of the way. It's about making your own choices and finding your own interests and letting life take you where it will.
2. The book is also about struggles and forgiveness. In the book, Caitlin begins to become angry towards her sister and refuses to talk to her when she calls. Caitlin, in the process of trying to keep everyone together, finds herself caught up in an abusive relationship, drawing back from her friends and finding new ones and begins losing herself to drugs and drinking.
3. I loved the characters in the book and their backgrounds very well explained who they are today. All the characters were very different from each other yet still fit together in a loving, sad and sentimental way.
1. In the first couple of chapters, the book was a bit slow as well as a few times throughout the book. But I did feel like it picked up with various scenes, making up for the slow ones.
2. This is the last of the Sara Dessen books that I've finished.
I hope you enjoyed this book review! If you have any book requests you would like me to review, just send me an email or leave them in the comments! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!