Friday, July 22, 2016

Review: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North & Erica Henderson

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl by Ryan North & Erica Henderson (Issue #1)
23732096
Rating: PG
Genre: Comic Book, Marvel
Score: ❤❤❤❤❤
Page Count: 128
Book #1 of The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl series
Publisher: Marvel
Published: September 1, 2015

Wolverine, Deadpool, Doctor Doom, Thanos: There's one hero that's beaten them all-and now she's got her own ongoing series! (Not that she's bragging.) That's right, you asked for it, you got it, it's SQUIRREL GIRL! (She's also starting college this semester.) It's the start of a brand-new set of adventures starring the nuttiest and most upbeat super hero in the world!

Review:
PROS:
1. I've been wanting to read way more comic books than I do but I feel like I'm so busy reading other books and graphic novels that I forget comic books exist and need some love too. I adore Marvel and I have my favorite superheroes from both Team Cap and Team Iron Man (Scarlet Witch, Spiderman, and Ant-Man forevaaaa) and I've really been meaning to get around to finally reading some Marvel comics since I've been so overwhelmed with how many are out there. It's a crazy amount, people! On top of the TBR I already have too. So, I thought I'd pick up a comic book for once and I obviously decided to start with the coolest one I could find: Squirrel Girl.

2. First off, I feel like me and Squirrel Girl would totally be best friends because we're both awkward, burst out into song and talk to animals like they can understand us. Which is probably why my dog thinks I'm an insane person. Anyhoo, I really liked Squirrel Girl, her secret identity being Doreen Green with her sidekick Tippy-Toe saving the world one theme song and nut at a time. I loved how Doreen juggled trying to be a superhero and a totally normal college student all while also trying to make a name for herself among her enemies as a hero to be feared. She was very quirky, a little bit awkward, and just a very fun character than I can so relate to. Not to mention she's very sassy and ready for any fight that comes her way.

3. I think this comic book is totally so much fun to read! I think even if you aren't a fan of Marvel or comic books, you can still really enjoy this one if you're looking for a new graphic novel or something short and quick to read. This was very funny, witty, action packed, and even sometimes a little bit random and goofy. It's nothing serious that will leave you depressed so I think you should pick up Squirrel Girl if you want something that's plenty entertaining. 

4. Can we just talk about these illustrations? As an artist myself, I swoon! Just the colors and the linework and everything having to do with the pictures that bring this story to life makes this comic book that much more awesome. I've read plenty of graphic novels with amazing artwork but this one is in my top five. Throw in some witty banter and dialogue from squirrels and chipmunks and you have a comic book I seriously need you to read! 




So what's your favorite Marvel superhero? Do you have a favorite Marvel comic you can't stop obsessing over? Let me know in the comments! Read on, bookworms! See you in the next chapter!


No comments:

Post a Comment