Saturday, July 25, 2015

Movie Review: Paper Towns

Rating: PG-13
Score: 4 1/2 stars
 
 
I was super excited for this movie when I first heard about a year ago of the book's adaptation. I actually didn't even know about the movie while purchasing the book until an awesome cashier let me in on the 411. Anyway, I was super excited earlier today about seeing the movie and I was sure to pay attention and be on the lookout for any changes that might've been either for the best or not. Here's my review:
 
 
One thing I really loved about the movie overall is the fact that it didn't stray away from the actual story at all. Which is something that's rare what with the recent releases on certain movies that I will not mention by name . . . We all know what they are anyway. I really liked that the movie followed the book almost to a T which was pretty awesome. I loved that it still had the comedic mystery going on throughout the movie just like in the book.
 
I also really loved how great the actors were in the movie when it came to bringing the characters to life. After seeing the trailer for the movie when it was first released, I wasn't really sure how I felt about at least half of the cast but after seeing the movie, it's actually hard to imagine anyone else playing these characters. I loved how animated and lively the acting was and it made the movie so much more than just that. Obviously, great acting always helps when seeing a movie. Duh. But there are few movies that really make an impact on me on a deeper level but this, I'm happy to say, was an exception.
 
If you've read the book, then you know exactly how witty, sarcastic and goofy some of John Green's characters can get in his books. Even the narration in his books is always sarcastic. I love sarcasm so that might just be why I love his writing so darn much . . . Anyway, I loved how hilarious this movie was! Even if you haven't read the book or didn't even know it was a book then I would still say to go see this movie if you want a good laugh. There were a couple of times where I couldn't stop laughing at the things the characters said and other times when I actually cried because I was laughing so hard. I would so see this movie again just because it was hilarious. The jokes were prime, the sarcasm was on point and can we just take a moment and remember the whole "sing-the-first-thing-that-pops-into-your-head" scene? Like, died laughing.
 
One thing some might not have noticed if you were too busy still laughing at a joke made twenty minutes ago, you've might've missed a couple of fun cameos that I thought were honestly kind of cute. If there was a whole author John Green cameo, then I obviously need to get my eyes checked because I'm usually good at catching those. BUT I did catch a couple of others to which I won't spoil for you guys because that's never fun. But I will say to pay close attention to the bass player in the concert scene and that very familiar gas station guy. (He likes dragons.)
 
So that's it! This is by no means a very professional movie review because (1) I'm no professional and (2) I'm very hungry. But I did my best to give you guys as much info as I possibly could without boring you all to death. There were a couple of changes in the movie such as the friends taking a road trip BEFORE graduation and a couple of differences on how the story played out in the "paper town" but I'll leave you guys to be the critics on those points because everyone's different and some get more critical on the smaller points than some. You can, however, look forward to lines from the book taking directly from it and making it's way into the movie which, again, is something rare.
 
Okay, seriously, that's it! Hope you guys enjoyed this movie review and have fun with your friends and see the movie! A great weekend laugh if you ask me! See you in the next chapter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment