Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Review: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Rating: PG
Genre: Graphic Novel, Paranormal
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 221
Stand Alone
Publisher: First Second Books
Published: June 7, 2011
 
Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part.
Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.
Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs.
Or so she thinks. Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya's Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut from author/artist Vera Brosgol.
 
Review:
PROS:
1. I've been getting into some graphic novels lately and this particular one keeps popping up on me. Anya's Ghost is a pretty hyped graphic novel that I've heard nothing but good things about. I finally picked it up and read it in just under an hour. I honestly couldn't put it down!
 
2. One thing I really loved about this novel is the artwork for both the characters and the scenes. I really loved how Anya's character was done because she wasn't the typically small girl. She struggles with her weight and watches what she eats and is self-conscience in that sense. She's sarcastic and sometimes moody. I really loved that she feels like she doesn't fit in anywhere because I feel like that's very relatable. I felt she was a great character as well as the side characters such as her friend Siobhan and Emily.
 
 
 
 
3. I really enjoyed the tones and color pallet that was used in the artwork. I thought it fit the story seeing as it is a darker read and really delivered on giving it that darker feel because of the colors. I loved the different tones of purple and grey and black. I thought they went well together and really made the story pop and come to life. The shading added depth to the artwork and made it more appealing to the eye.

4. I really enjoyed the storyline of this book as well! I loved getting to know more about Anya and her ghostly friend Emily and really loved seeing their bond grow into a paranormal friendship. It also had it's secrets though and a couple of surprises that were pretty mind-blowing. I just loved the story and I really wish there was a sequel! It was a quick read but an unforgettable one at that.

Overall, I really loved this graphic novel, a 5/5 stars for me and I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good paranormal read! I also think this would be a great book to pick up around Halloween so keep it in mind!

I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!


3 comments:

  1. I so want to pick this up now! Loved your review ;) I've become really fond of graphic novels of late and this one is probably what I'll be reading next. Have you read In Real Life? It's another awesome graphic novel that I'm sure you'll like. I did a review for it on my blog if you're interested: http://ofstacksandcups.blogspot.com/2015/03/in-real-life-graphic-novel-by-cory.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm very glad you liked the review! I've actually had my eye on In Real Life but I haven't read it yet. I loved your review on it though! It convinced me to read that graphic novel next!

      Delete
    2. Truthfully your review makes me want to try it out! It sounds like a rather promising graphic novel. Good review!

      Delete