Sunday, March 8, 2015

Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Rating: PG-13
Genre: Dystopian
Score: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Page Count: 383
Book #1 of the Red Queen Trilogy
Publisher: Orion
Published: February 10, 2015
 
The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.
To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of
those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.
But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?
 
Review:
PROS:
1. This is of course a very popular book already and I was super excited for it even before it actually released. I thought the synopsis was interesting and sounded a bit dark and reminded a little of Throne Of Glass and The Young Elites. Here's my review for y'all!
 
2. I always like to start a review by talking about the characters first. I really enjoyed them and thought they were a great group. I really liked Mare's character. I thought she was strong, determined and ready to fight if she had to. She wasn't easily scared though she did have her fears and used them as fuel to help her fight back and protect herself. I did think she could've had a bit more development but she wasn't flat. I also enjoyed the side characters such as the Princes and Mare's family and friends. They were a loveable family and really cared about Mare and the Princes were very interesting as well. The younger Prince was sweet and quite the gentleman. The older Prince (who's name is kind of a spoiler so I won't say it) was very strong and a natural-born leader and king. Overall, I really loved getting to know the characters, both the good and the very bad.
 
3. I loved the world in this book. I really got the feeling of a post-apocalyptic and dystopian feel from the story. I loved seeing how the Reds lived, how they struggled to just put dinner on the table and how the Silvers lived, most of them living like royalty without having to worry about anything. The world was full of diversity and non-existing equality between the Reds and the Silvers.
 
4. I really loved all of the "superpowers" that the Silvers had. I thought it was cool how some were capable of controlling the elements (very Avatar-esque) and others had the ability to control anything metal, read minds, control minds and of course Mare's power. Some also had the ability to heal people which was also pretty cool. 
 
5. This book also had some major plot-twists! Completely surprising and I swear my jaw actually touched the floor. They were pretty mind-blowing and I'm a sucker for a good plot-twist that completely catches me off guard which is exactly what this book did! 
 
6. This book reminded me a lot of other popular books, the two I mentioned before and Avatar and the X-Men. It had some really cool action scenes and a lot of action in general. It was fast-paced and very detailed and a little complex which is not an easy thing for an author to make entertaining. It was a little fantasy-light, had some romance and was a quick read that was very enjoyable. I definitely recommend this book if you enjoy any of the things listed!
 
 
I hope you guys enjoyed this book review! If you have any other book requests you would like me to review, just leave a comment or send me an email! Read on bookworms! See you in the next chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment