Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Book Talk #7: Popular Books That Fell Flat For Me


Hello, everybody! As you could tell by the title of this post, today I'll be discussing a list of popular books that everyone and their mother has read that just didn't live up to the hype for me personally. I'm really sorry if anyone gets offended if you're favorite book is in this post, I know I get a little sad when my favorite book is someone else's least favorite but we're all entitled to our own opinions. 

As a side note, have no shame in loving one of these books or all of them. I don't about you guys, but I always get a little agitated when other readers make fun of someone for loving a book they personally didn't like. For me, these books just weren't what I was hoping for, expecting, or just weren't my cup of tea. If these are some of your favorite books, good for you! Now, let's get started!

1. Throne Of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (TOG #1)
16034235

Review: Throne Of Glass

Why It Fell Flat: Even though I did like the characters and the storyline and the world building in this book, based on the hype this book was getting I was expecting it to be spectacular, the best book I could ever read in my lifetime. That was sadly not the case.

I don't really know why I didn't end up loving it, maybe because I just couldn't connect with the characters or I felt that there weren't enough fantasy elements. I did think it was a cool book but since I was let down by it, I don't really have the drive to continue the series at this time. I do plan on picking up the second book in this series but it's not my top priority.



2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (THG #1)
2767052

Review: The Hunger Games

Why It Fell Flat: I will admit, I got pretty annoyed with this series when the movie first came out. I get that a ton of people were excited about it but when it came to turning around at the store and seeing Hunger Games this and Hunger Games that, it got a little overwhelming. Which is why I think I avoided the series for so long until I was sure I could give it a fair chance.

Fast forward three years and I finally picked up the book. As with the whole point of this post, it just didn't live up to the hype. I found it boring and didn't like any of the characters nor did I really care what happened to them. Since reading the first book, I've gotten around to reading the second one but I'm still struggling to bring myself to read the last one. One day I'll read it . . . hopefully.



3. The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken (TDM #1)
10576365

Review: The Darkest Minds

Why It Fell Flat: First off, now that I look at my review for this book, I couldn't disagree with it more. I think at the time, I really did love it but now that I've discovered other books and kind of figured out exactly what I like about a book, I no longer feel the same about it.

I honestly don't remember a single thing from the story, the characters names, or even what the plot of the book is. The only thing I remember is that it's dystopian and had a decent ending. Other than that, I'm not sure how I feel about it anymore. Since reading it, I've given the book away to a friend who really wanted to read it so maybe one day I'll consider rereading it? Maybe even continue to the series?



4. If I Stay by Gayle Forman (If I Stay #1)
6990472

Review: If I Stay

Why It Fell Flat: Once again, not an accurate review anymore. At the time, I think I liked it and I still really wish I loved it but now that I've read other books over the years, I just don't feel the same anymore about this book. Has that ever happened to anyone else? I feel like it's happened to me plenty now that I think about it.

I just find the story boring now and no longer care about the characters. They seem really annoying to me and I think I realized that when I actually saw the movie when it first came out. I think the movie honestly ruined it for me which a sad thing. I don't know if I'll ever read the second book but what we'll see what happens, right?




5. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (The 5th Wave #1)
16101128

Review: The 5th Wave

Why It Fell Flat: Luckily, I read this book before I started hearing the hype so I salvaged as much of my honest feelings about it as possible. Still, this book just wasn't all that for me. I just thought it rambled on a little too much and thought Cassie's entire section of the book was boring. I much preferred Ben's POV since, well, it was actually exciting. That goes for the movie too.

Once again, I don't know at all if I'll ever read the next books in the series so I'm still debating whether to just move on with my life or give it another shot with reading the next book.






So I hope you all enjoyed this post! Is there a popular book that just fell flat for you for some reason? If so, which one was it? Read on, bookworms! See you in the next chapter!


2 comments:

  1. It's also perfectly fine to have your own opinions as well! I wasn't the biggest fan of THG... I only LOVED the second book. The first was okay and I really disliked the third book in the series. So yeah, overall that series just didn't manage to impress me completely. Throne of Glass and the Darkest Mind series are ones I have yet to try. I didn't mind The Fifth Wave. I really liked the first half, but when the romance started to get involved I was a bit disappointed and annoyed. I felt nothing for that subplot. >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Catching Fire was a little more interesting and it's better than the first in my opinion, though I still didn't love it. I've heard the third book is rather boring which is why I've been hesitant to read it :P And I totally agree with the romance in The 5th Wave, it was just annoying and felt really forced into the story line XP I'm hoping you like Throne Of Glass and The Darkest Minds whenever you try them out, they just weren't my cup of teas but hopefully they appeal to you!

      Delete