Sunday, June 12, 2016

Graphic Novel Recommendations!


Hello, everybody! Today I wanted to recommend some graphic novels to you all! I've written up some children's books and summer reading recommendations in the past but I've never actually recommended some graphic novels. I adore graphic novels since I love seeing stories come to life either cinematically or through awesome illustrations so I love finding a new one to pick up! 

I also really like reading manga but since I feel like I haven't read enough to recommend any to you guys, we'll stick with graphic novels for today.

I hope you guys end up finding some books that peak your interest and maybe check some of them out! Here are my personal recommendations!


Title: Anya's Ghost
Author: Vera Brosgol
Review: My Thoughts

Synopsis: Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part.
Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.
Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs.
Or so she thinks. Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya's Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut from author/artist Vera Brosgol.


11389398Title: Friends With Boys
Author: Faith Erin Hicks
Review: My Thoughts


Synopsis: After years of homeschooling, Maggie is starting high school. It's pretty terrifying.

Maggie's big brothers are there to watch her back, but ever since Mom left it just hasn't been the same. 

Besides her brothers, Maggie's never had any real friends before. Lucy and Alistair don't have lots of friends either. But they eat lunch with her at school and bring her along on their small-town adventures.

Missing mothers...distant brothers...high school...new friends... It's a lot to deal with. But there's just one more thing. MAGGIE IS HAUNTED.


Title: The Adventures Of Superhero Girl
Author: Faith Erin Hicks
Review: My Thoughts


Synopsis: What if you can leap tall buildings and defeat alien monsters with your bare hands, but you buy your capes at secondhand stores, and have a weakness for kittens, and a snarky comment from Skeptical Guy can ruin a whole afternoon? Cartoonist Faith Erin Hicks brings her skills in character design and sharp, charming humor to the trials and tribulations of a young, superhero battling monsters both supernatural and mundane in an all-too-ordinary world.


23657454Title: Awkward
Author: Svetlana Chmakova
Review: My Thoughts


Synopsis: Cardinal rule #1 for surviving school: Don't get noticed by the mean kids.

Cardinal rule #2 for surviving school: Seek out groups with similar interests and join them.

On her first day at her new school, Penelope--Peppi--Torres reminds herself of these basics. But when she trips into a quiet boy in the hall, Jaime Thompson, she's already broken the first rule, and the mean kids start calling her the "nerder girlfriend." How does she handle this crisis? By shoving poor Jaime and running away!

Falling back on rule two and surrounding herself with new friends in the art club, Peppi still can't help feeling ashamed about the way she treated Jaime. Things are already awkward enough between the two, but to make matters worse, he's a member of her own club's archrivals--the science club! And when the two clubs go to war, Peppi realizes that sometimes you have to break the rules to survive middle school!
 


Title: Through The Woods
Author: Emily Carroll
Review: My Thoughts


Synopsis: 'It came from the woods. Most strange things do.'

Five mysterious, spine-tingling stories follow journeys into (and out of?) the eerie abyss.

These chilling tales spring from the macabre imagination of acclaimed and award-winning comic creator Emily Carroll.

Come take a walk in the woods and see what awaits you there...






4 comments:

  1. I haven't read a graphic novel in such a long time, but I've heard many great things about the ones you've recommended. I'll definitely be sure to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you end up loving them all, or just one at least :D Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I've been reading a whole lot more graphic novels and also manga as well, so I loved reading these recommendations! Through the Woods as well as Anya's Ghost sound especially promising to me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I LOVED both and I totally think you're going to love them as well! I love all things creepy or dark so those graphic novels are ones I'd reread over and over again!

      Delete